Monday 25 July 2011

MOTHERWELL FC: KEEPING MY COMPOSURE IN THE BOX

Saturday 23rd July, 2pm. Im in the Phil O'Donnell stand for the first ever time on a match day. Stood looking up at the plush cushioned Season Ticket and Exec seats, a few markers are strewn about on the park behind me.

As I ascend the stairs, I see the hub of activity that is the media section. To the left, headphones, microphones and sound equipment are sprawled over 2 pulpit like benches. To the right, laptops and mobiles are displayed like territorial markings. On my approach, I eye a spot under a speaker to the right. This will be my seat for the season. This will be my first destination on the journey to the broadcast teams on the left. (Now on my right as I've sat down).

The tight claret bench gives little room for manoeuvre as I plant my laptop, charger, phone, notepad and £10 pen atop it. I sit back and take a breath. I'm maybe a little late to the party, as now 26, I begin to fear that sports journalism is a young mans game. But like the team I love, youth and experience can work together perfectly.

As I scan the newly adorned Cash Converters emblazoned East Stand, I think back to my first trip to Fir Park in November 1994. I sat in awe as I took in the sights, sounds and smells of a narrow 1-0 defeat to Aberdeen, thanks to a McCart own goal. 17 years on and it's like I'm watching the game with new eyes.

While always a fan, I now have an official capacity to uphold, that I can't allow the die hard in me to rule too much. Keeping my composure in the press box this season will be key, but as a fan of football, it would be amiss of me to not celebrate the finer points of the beautiful game.

To have been back East as Stevie Hammell rifled the ball in off Esson's face, for example would have been a moment to savour with my usual cohorts. Last time I witnessed a Hammell goal, I broke a phone and had my glasses punched off my face in delight. This time, a fervent clap and a muted shout of "Get In!" sufficed. My press colleagues used their hands to show appreciation as everyone looked to Graham Barnstaple for relevant stats .

Archie MacPherson sat 2 seats away from me. A chap who I assume works for some high brow paper (tweedy suit jacket, White open collared shirt) divided us , preventing me from "networking"'with the legendary commentator. No doubt over the course of the season I'll learn names but, "tweedy", "tall chap" and "iPad guy" were the only folk I conversed with besides @MotherwellFC's Mr Barnstaple.

The same stifled exclamations were uttered as Murphy scored 'Well's second. As half time rolled around, pundits became fans. The formalities of sitting in the box were dispensed with over the free pies and beverages on offer in the press room. The school room feel of the media enclosure was countered by the playground banter as we all huddled around the refreshment table, discussing the first half. Had someone brought out a pack of Panini stickers, I would not have been surprised, such was the boyhood charm of these professional, grown men discussing the fitba.

Come Lasley's "Rip Snorter" (copyright Cammy Murray), I couldn't help but give a Yell.Reminiscent of old Archie's "Only An Excuse" caricature, I let out a "WOOOOFFFFTTTT!" and a slightly Neddier "YASSSSSS!".

It was reminiscent of sitting in the Govan Stand at Ibrox when Blackman put us 1-0 up v Rangers last year, trying to hold back and let rip at the same time. No one really noticed though, as despite me being the only one on my feet, everyone else agreed it was a quality strike.

I regained my composure and went about compiling my report after the final whistle. As I descended the stand alone, watching the East Stand empty made me wish I could discuss the game with my mates and have the usual Saturday banter.

At the same time, I was proud of what I had just accomplished. Playing for the Well was a fantastical idea as a youngster, but writing about them in an official capacity was a dream I could hold on to. It may have taken a while, but I've made it happen. Sure I may be getting paid in pies and experience, but that's just for now. Give it some time and I'll be sitting in the broadcast box.

A trip to the Ayrshire coast to write up our game v Kilmarnock beckons next week. A Killie Pie, 3 points and another week at the top of the league will do me just fine.

Up The Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment